Stolin, one of the most ancient towns of Belarus, is situated on the
left bank of the River Gorin. It was first mentioned inold Chronicles
among "towns pogorinski". It was a part of Turov - Pinsk Principality
and then a part of Great Lithuanian Principality in XII-XIII centuries.
According to the Lublin Union it became a part of Poland in 1569.
At that time Jews began to move to Stolin from Western Europe to find
a better life.
In XVI century Stolin belonged to magnates Solomoretski, Vishnevcki, Patsi,
Soltan, Skirmunt and Stachovski.
After the war in the middle of XVIII century while Retch Pospolitaya was
in wars with the Ukraine, Sweden, Turkey, Tartar Stolin became poor. At
the end of the XVIII century began to become powerful again. There were
fairs in Stolin. In 1765 there were 408 Jews in Stolin. In 1792 it became
the place of Seimik meetings instead of Mozir.
After the second dividing of Retch Pospolitaya in 1793 Stolin became a
part of Russia and a center of Pinsk uezd Minsk province. In 1847 in Stolin
there was a Jewish Community of 777 people. With the development of trade
in Stolin many houses, white Stone Synagogue (1792) three warm synagogues,
Jewish schools, banks, mills, shops, chemist's shops and mikvas were built.
Many of these buildings still exist.
Stolin became a center of Hasidim movement.
Stolin tsadics had a great influence in Minsk and Volin Provinces. The
first tsadic in Stolin was Rabbi Acher Perlov (Stolinski), the son of
famous tsadic Rabbi Aaron Perlov (Great) (1736 - 1772). Asher Perlov Stolinski
was one of the famous tsadics of that time. The son of Rabbi Asher Perlov
(Stolinski) Rabbi Aaron II Perlov (1802 - 1872) was tsadic - in Karlin
(near Pinsk) and had a great power in North West Region. Because of misunderstanding
between him and one noble family from misnagdim, Rabbi Aaron II Perlov
moved to Stolin. After his death his son Asher II Stolinski Perlov became
Rabbi. He died in 1873. His heir was his five-year-old son Rabbi Isroel
Perlov (1868) called "enuka kadisha". He was Rabbi till the
beginning of 20s XX century. He was energetic and good organizer. His
heir was his elder son Rabbi Moisha Perlov (1890), who died with his family
in Stolin ghetto in 1942.
At the end of XIX century Stolin was mostly Jewish. In 1897 the population
of Stolin was 3342, among them there were 2489 Jews. Jews strengthened
their trade and religious ties with other Jews. Jews in Stolin lived mostly
in the area of Market Square.
Soviet Power came to Stolin in November 1917. Since February 1918 till
December 1919 the town was occupied by the Germans.
According to the Riga Agreement Stolin belonged to Poland from 1921 till
1939. It was a period of quiet life and work of Stolin Jews. Since 1922
till 1939 in Stolin there were White Stone Synagogue, three warm synagogues,
Heder, schools "Tarbut" and "Kibuts"; mills belonged
to Gleiberman Mendel, Visotski, Sohar, Frenkel, Kolodny; chemist's shops
of Chernik and Kolodny; shops belonged to Shkliar, Bashkin, Tuchman, Fikangor,
Kantorovich, Motorin, Fialkov, Liberman; stores belonged to Skliar, Krupnik,
Aisenberg, Eshkal; restaurants of Gonski, Tukin, Vinnik, Visotski, Rogosinski,
Kosmovich; a publishing house of Motorin, soda-water factory of Kogan.
A cinema of Ruchocki. The hotels of Gleiberman, Rodkevich, Goberman. The
merchants Durchin, Furman, Isroel Zarachovich sold wood, salt and were
the creditors of Prince Radzivil.
By 1941 in Stolin there were 12500 inhabitants. Among them there were
8500 Jews. And thee were also 7000 Jews who came from occupied Poland.
On the 12th of June 1941 Stolin was occupied by the Germans.
Two months later on the 10th of August 1941 about 3000 Jewish men of 14
and older in David Horodok were shot in Hinovsk by the collaborators.
On the same day 53 Jewish men in Rubel were killed and buried in Borok.
Women and children were sent away by local people from the villages and
they went to Stolin.
In June 1941 in the village of Horodnaya the collaborators shot 53 Jewish
men. In Jule 1942 in ghetto in Horodnaya 200 women, children and old Jewish
were shot, the rest 400 Jews were shot in about 3 km from Horodnaya on
the way to Terebezhov, in Podraliche.
The same thing happened to the villages of Glinka, Radchitsk, Berezhnoye,
Belousha, Olpen and others.
In early spring 1942 the fascists took all the Jews of Stolin and of David
Horodok and Rubel and others into ghetto.
In the early morning on September 11, 1942 all the Jews from ghetto were
taken away to the Market square. They were surrounded by 200 policemen.
On September 11, 12, 1942 all the Jews from ghetto were killed in Stasino
(3 km from Stolin). 300 year-old Jewish history of Stolin land ended.
After the Great Patriotic War many specialists of different professions
came to empty Stolin to rebuilt the town. Jews were among them. They came
from Belarus, Russia and Ukraine.
Only in 1999 Stolin Jewish Community was founded officially. Jewish Community
"MOST" ("The Bridge") and Iudaic progressive community
"Yahad" were organized. These tittles have their explanations.
"MOST" - is a bridge through the times to the Jewish roots for
the generations. This is a bridge of the memory of those who was killed
in Stolin, David Horodok, Rubel, Horodnaya, Belousha, Berezhnoye, Glinka,
Radchitsk, Olpen and others shtetls where Jews lived.
"MOST" - is a bridge of the lost connection with their roots
for generations of Jews, whose grandparents and parents came from Stolin,
David Horodok, Rubel and others shtetls.
"MOST" - is an opportunity of communication of the Jews living
here with the Jews, living in Israel, the USA, Canada and other countries
of the world, whose roots are in Stolin, David Horodok, Rubel or other
"Yahad" means "together" from Jewish.
These two organizations work together. Their aim is to save the Jewish
heritage of Stolin, David Horodok, Rubel and other Jewish places and to
keep the memory of those who lost their lives.